Frequently Asked Questions

Employment with the District

The District is divided into three employment groups – classified, academic, and unclassified.

Classified service includes employees in non-academic positions. Employees in this group are employed in administrative (non-academic), professional, clerical, technical, supervisory, trades, and operations positions.

Academic service includes faculty and academic administrators. Faculty consists of instructors, counselors, librarians, and department chairs. Academic administrators include presidents, academic vice presidents, directors, deans, associate deans, and assistant deans.

Unclassified service includes employees that are excluded from the classified and academic services. Employees in this group can be student workers, professional experts, community services teachers, trainer/presenters, or community representatives.

Yes, the District has part-time employment opportunities in the classified service. However, the number of such opportunities is limited. Part-time employees have varying hours based on the type of assignment and programmatic needs of the hiring location. Part-time employees are only eligible for health benefits if their assigned hours amount to at least a .5 FTE (=20 hours per week).

Yes, the District does have evening employment in the classified service. Evening positions are typically in custodial operations or in student services offices such as Admissions & Records, Financial Aid, etc.

Most classified employees work a standard 8-hour workday. The typical hours of work for a day shift employee are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; however, there are some offices and work units where the workday begins and ends at other hours. The hours of employees assigned to the evening shift will vary.

Yes, the District has classified positions that do not require an employee to work during the summer months.

The District has positions that are:

  • 12 calendar months beginning on July 1 and ending on June 30.
  • 10 4-week periods (or 200 days). This schedule begins with the first payroll day of the Fall semester and ends with the last payroll day of the Spring semester.
  • 239 days between July 1 and June 30.

Yes, students who are enrolled with the District and/or an accredited college or university can work for the District as unclassified employees. Unclassified student worker positions are generally part-time and/or intermittent depending on project or program needs. Student workers are required to be enrolled in a specified number of units and make satisfactory progress towards their educational goals.

Applying for Employment

There are two ways to find the current classified job opportunities:

  • Employees and non-employees can find current classified job opportunities through our Job Applicant Center on the LACCD website. New job listings are generally posted on Mondays and remain on the job board for approximately 3 weeks (time may vary depending on the position).
  • Individuals may register their interest in particular jobs by submitting an interest card online. This can be done by clicking the link at the top of any of the job descriptions on the Personnel Commission website or by clicking the "Notify Me of New Jobs" link at the top of the page in our Job Applicant Center. When recruitment begins for a particular job, notices will typically be sent to the email address on file to all persons who have submitted an interest card for that job.

No. Applications will be considered for all locations and types of assignments for which you have indicated your availability in your application. 

No, one application must be completed for each job classification. However, when you apply online, you will be able to save your personal information, work history, and educational background on an application template for future use.

No, all applications must be submitted through our online employment system through the link in our Job Applicant Center. Applications received through mail, fax, or submitted in-person will not be accepted.

No, you do not need to be a resident of the area covered by the Los Angeles Community College District to work within the District.

Yes, you may still apply for employment with the District. A police record does not automatically disqualify an applicant from participating in the examination process. If you are offered employment, you will be required to complete a Report of Convictions and be fingerprinted. Employment eligibility determination involving criminal convictions will be made at that point by the District’s Human Resources Division.

You may view and print a copy of your application through our online employment system through the “My Applications” page.

An employee is eligible to compete in a promotional examination if they have permanent status as a classified employee by the opening date of filing for non-continuous examinations or at the time of filing for continuous examinations. Permanent status is attained after successful completion of the employee’s initial probationary period of either 130 working days or 260 working days, depending on the type of position.

Examination Process

In order to ensure uniform treatment and fairness, the Personnel Commission’s policy requires all candidates to participate in a classified examination administered at the same time. There are a limited number of circumstances where special administration requests for an examination will be considered which are outlined in Personnel Commission Rule 616.

Each request for a special administration will be evaluated based on established criteria.

Requests for special administration need to be made as early as possible but must be submitted no later than three (3) working days prior to the regularly scheduled test date. In emergency or unanticipated situations, the request must be submitted at the earliest possible date, but no later than the first working day after the scheduled test date.

All requests for special administration must be submitted in writing along with the required verification to the Classified Exams Unit of the Personnel Commission at @email.

Test results are sent out in a timely manner after a test administration.

Individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request an accommodation, if needed, in the examination process. In order for appropriate arrangements to be made at the testing site, requests for accommodation must be received at least three (3) days prior to the administration of the test. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany your request.

All requests for special administration must be submitted in writing along with the required documentation to the Classified Exams Unit of the Personnel Commission at @email.

Yes. All exam participants will receive basic information regarding their test performance in a written notification sent to the email address on file. Candidates who are unsuccessful on any part of the examination process may also schedule an appointment to obtain more details on their examination scores and evaluations. Reviews are by appointment only during regular working hours and are typically scheduled on the Tuesday or Thursday following the date of the examination results notification.

Individual test items, test questions, evaluation factors, scoring keys, and related examination materials are not available for review due to confidentiality and security considerations.

Candidates who feel they were unfairly evaluated may appeal any part of an examination. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the Examiner of Record within five (5) working days after you have reviewed your examination results.

Appeals must:

  • Give specific basis for appeal.
  • Cite errors that occurred during the test process.
  • State the remedy you are seeking.

The Examiner of Record shall review and answer appeals. If corrections are required, they shall be applied uniformly to all candidates.

Candidates are ineligible to participate in an examination for six months after they have been unsuccessful in an exam for the same job classification.

Employment Eligibility Lists

Candidates who have successfully completed all parts of the examination process will be placed on an eligibility list in rank order, which will typically remain in effect for one year. This eligibility list is used to fill vacancies at all nine colleges and the Educational Services Center.

Once a vacancy occurs, eligibles’ names will be certified to the appropriate hiring location in rank order. The name of an eligible will only be certified to locations and types of assignments for which they have indicated availability on their application. Availability preferences are required to be made by the applicant when they fill out the job application.

The college or division with the vacancy will reach out to eligibles for a hiring interview appointment via phone and/or written notification. If the college or division is unable to make contact by telephone, a written notification will be sent to the eligible. An eligible has three (3) working days from the date the written notification was sent to respond. For classes designated as executive, administrative, or supervisory, an eligible has five (5) working days to respond.

You may log in to our online employment system at any time to update your contact information.

You may request changes to your employment preferences on an existing eligibility list by submitting an e-mail to the Personnel Commission at @email.

Working for the District

Regular classified employees may be eligible to receive a pay differential for speaking a foreign language if they are frequently called upon to exercise their ability to perform one or more of the following: speaking, reading, and/or writing a foreign language. The process to designate a position as bilingual must be initiated by the hiring manager for your department/division.

For more information on this process, please see PC Rule 588 or the tip sheet found on page 2 of the Request to Designate a Position as Bilingual form.

Every position in the classified service is assigned to a job classification based on duties and responsibilities assigned to the position by an authorized supervisor. Although generic job descriptions identify duties assigned to a position, each position will vary within a job classification based on the needs of a specific department. Occasionally, the operational needs of a department may change.

If the operational needs of an office permanently change, a supervisor and/or an employee can ask the Personnel Commission to conduct a study of the position. The study will determine if the changes in duties constitute a change in job classification and/or compensation.

A request for a classification study may be submitted through a Classified Staffing Request (C1121) form, which can be obtained from the Personnel Commission’s Intranet site.

An employee who has been asked by an authorized supervisor to perform duties inconsistent with or not reasonably related to those assigned to positions within their job classification for a period of more than five working days within a 15 calendar-day period may be eligible to receive additional compensation through submission of claims for temporary work out of classification. Submitted claims will be reviewed by Personnel Commission staff who makes the determination if the employee is eligible for additional compensation for higher level duties temporarily assigned to the employee's position.

The form to submit a Claim for Temporary Work Out of Classification, which includes a tip sheet, can be obtained from the Personnel Commission’s Intranet site.


To transfer to another college or to the Educational Services Center, an in-service transaction request must be submitted on our online employment system which can be accessed through our Job Applicant Center.

A regular employee who has attained permanent status in their job classification shall be eligible to submit a transfer or change in office location in-service transaction request. If an employee has not attained permanent status in their current job classification, approval of the request by the applicable division head or college president is required to attest that such action will be in the best interest of the District.

Unless specified otherwise by an applicable collective bargaining agreement, transfer requests are valid for two years. To be considered after that period, a new request must be submitted.

A written acknowledgement will be sent to you once the Personnel Commission processes your request. Upon approval, your location's Personnel Office will be notified of your approved transfer request along with a request to notify your current supervisor. Your name will be certified, along with the names of eligible exam candidates and other employees with approved requests, to a location when it requests to fill an approved position in your job classification.

Hiring authorities are strongly encouraged to interview all interested internal candidates for positions. The District's collective bargaining agreements require interviews as follows:

  • AFT 1521A, Local 99, and the Building & Construction Trades Council - the two most senior employees requesting transfer.
  • Local 721, Unrepresented, and Confidential positions - there is no interview requirement.

Performance Evaluations

Performance evaluations are completed by an employee’s immediate supervisor. At least one evaluation is required each year. You should talk to your supervisor if you have not received an evaluation.

Once a review has been completed, the supervisor and the employee should meet face-to-face to discuss and sign the evaluation. A copy of the evaluation is provided to the employee. The original performance evaluation is sent to the District’s Human Resources Division and shall be placed in the employee’s personnel file.

Performance evaluations are designed to accomplish several goals. They assess an employee’s performance and accomplishments against the job duties and responsibilities of their position, encourage joint planning and communication between an employee and their supervisor, provide employees with clear and explicit performance expectations, help employees identify and develop job skills, and discuss training and career advancement opportunities. They are also used in the classified selection process.