If you plan to attend college from July 1, 2017 – June30, 2018, you will be able to submit a 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) beginning on October 1, 2016. You will be required to report income and tax information from 2015.
DO YOU KNOW?
THE 2017-2018 FAFSA OPENS EARLY THIS YEAR
· Before filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), students and parents of dependent students should create an FSA ID made up of a username and password. The FSA ID is used to confirm identity and electronically sign federal student aid documents. DO NOT WAIT. You can create your FSA ID now.
If you are an AB540 student, you will be able to submit the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) beginning October 1, 2016. You and your parents do not need to create an FSA ID.
WHAT TO DO:
1. New students create an FSA ID. This is not required if you are an AB540 student.
b. If you have previously created an FSA ID, you do not need to create another.
2. Gather required information to fill out your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application.
a. 2015 income and tax information
b. Federal School Code to college(s) that you would like to receive your information for aid processing.
Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) federal school codes:
· 001222 - East Los Angeles College
· 001223 - Los Angeles City College
· 001224 - Los Angeles Harbor College
· 012550 - Los Angeles Mission College
· 001226 - Los Angeles Pierce College
· 007047 - Los Angeles Southwest College
· 001227 - Los Angeles Trade-Technical College
· 001228 - Los Angeles Valley College
· 008596 - West Los Angeles College
4. Receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education or if you filled out a Dream Act App., you will receive a SAR along with a confirmation after you completed your application.
a. The application timelines for the different semesters will be available at the college websites.
6. In February, you may be contacted by the college whose federal school code you entered on the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application.
7. If there are additional document(s) requested by the college, complete and turn them in to the financial aid office by May 1st to meet the priority deadline.
8. If you meet all your college deadlines, you may receive your financial aid disbursement the first week of class.
If you have not yet applied for 2016-2017, it is not too late. Apply now! Go to www.fafsa.gov or, if you are an AB540 student, go to dream.csac.ca.gov
Los Angeles Community College District - www.laccd.edu – 213-891-2300