The Taxpayer Relief Act was passed by the United States Congress in the Fall of 1997. There are two tax credits that may be available to you if you pay higher education costs:
These tax credits reduce the amount of income tax you may have to pay. Unlike a deduction, which reduces the amount of income subject to tax, a credit directly reduces the tax itself. However, you cannot get a refund for any part of the credit that is more than your tax.
Forms and Publications
The Los Angeles Community College District is required by the IRS to mail a copy of your 1098-T by January 31, 2018. Your 1098-T is mailed to the permanent address on file with the Admissions Office as of the date the forms are printed (late January). Please visit your school to request more copies.
If your name, social security number, or address is listed incorrectly, fill out a W-9S form and submit it to the Business Office at your campus.
To fill out a W-9S form, log on to the Student Information System, and follow directions.
IRS Publication 970 (link opens new browser window) explains the tax benefits for persons who are saving for or are paying higher education costs for themselves or members of their families.
Contact Information:

Los Angeles Community College District
Central Financial Aid Unit
770 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90017