Health Benefits Unit

Frequently Asked Questions

I am retiring but will not qualify for District-Paid health benefits. What should I do?

You have a few options. You may do nothing and continue your current benefits and have the premiums deducted from your retirement check. If you do not want to continue with benefits through LACCD, you must inform either CalPERS that you do not want to continue your medical benefits after you retire, or you can inform the Health Benefits Unit. However, you must inform either CalPERS or LACCD before you actually retire.

If you are currently receiving a STRS pension, but have not vested in LACCD benefits, you may be eligible to purchase medical and dental insurance for you and your spouse or domestic partner under the provisions of AB 528. You can find more information about AB 528 in California Education Code, Section 7000-7008.